Thursday, November 3, 2011

Creativity

     Ken Robinson. What does that name mean to you? Yes, I know tat it probably doesn't mean anything to you yet but once you finish reading this post, you will certainly know that that name, means a lot. To start, Ken is a man that holds great wisdom in the subject of creativity. I know that creativity does not really sound like something you can learn about and know of, I figure you have never considered creativity as a subject to be taught. This is probably because creativity is taught in so many forms, but not in too many schools. This leads me directly into the topic of creativity in schools and what Ken thinks about it.

     I learned about Ken in a TED speech and since I already love TED and their magnificent talks, I was quickly fascinated with Ken. Ken's main goal from his speech was to educate his audience of the importance of creativity in schools. He discussed how so many schools are teaching students to the average textbook, and in theory everyone would end up in the exact same place having the exact same career. Who would want that? I certainly would miss the entertainment of acting, music, art and dance, honestly who wouldn't. Thankfully some student and some schools step out of the box. The box containing textbooks and calculators and tests. I am one of those students and I am part of one of those schools.

     In the last paragraph I ended with  "I am part of one of those schools." Originally I had written, (as most students would) "I belong to one of those schools." Then I realized how possessive that sounded. That single sentence made it sound like the school owned me and controlled me and decide what I would and should learn. That would be terrible if I actually felt that way. I unlike other students have the resources to jump up and take part in my school, I have the chance to express myself in unique ways like graphic design and drawing and even blogging! Yes, you might have forgotten that I actually am blogging in a blogging class right now. How incredible is that? I love it so much, I love that I can be who I am and consider the hundreds of careers that I could go into. Many people and perhaps even you, forget about creativity in other schools and forget that some schools may not even care about creativity and learning beyond the book. So here it is, here is a an eyeopener for you to speak out about creativity, share your opinion and teach the world to change our system, teach schools to get a little creativity and take a leap into the unknown. Let the people learn what they want to learn. Of course keep the basics of math and science, ect. in education but influence others to be different. No one wants to end up in the exact same position as someone else.

     Those of you who are reading this blog for the pure purpose of learning graphic design and enjoying graphic design, question yourself of where you learned graphic design and how you were inspired to care about it. I for sure did not learn graphic design in a school, I learned it on my own in my spare time. There are so many people who do not even know what applications like photoshop or gimp or paint is for, but if creative subjects like graphic design were taught in school, the world would be a lot more colorful.


1 comment:

  1. Incredibly thoughtful. Thank you for sharing your point of view and thorough description of Ken Robinson. You creatively incorporated many aspects of writing conventions (grammar, punctuation, etc.) in this post as well. I am inspired to continue reading your posts. Blog away, Miss Creativity!!

    ReplyDelete